Wednesday 14 March 2012

Queen's Jubilee Scarf Competition

Today I've been distracted from my current project. I've been designing a scarf for a competition run by Selvedge Magazine, it needs to be to commemorate the Queen's Jubilee but also influenced by your time at on your course studying textiles. It needed to be 50cm x 50cm and have a border or edging.
Anybody who knows me in real life or virtually, even if you've only read my blog once, will know how much my dogs mean to me. At the beginning of this final year at university our tutor gave us a talk telling us the importance of taking a break from our heavy load a work to do the usual hobbies or things we do, saying that it will help us clear mental blocks, and give us thinking time. For me that hobby is my dogs. Spending time with them is like therapy! The Queen's Corgi dogs are iconic and I thought maybe the Queen and I have our dogs in common! So I did some pencil sketches of Corgi dogs...










I wanted to give it quite a traditional look so it would stand the test of time and luckily that fits in with the kitch sort of style that I like. To keep with that traditional and kitch theme I stuck with the red, white and blue colour palette, and created a simple striped border. I also gave the dogs a blue wash of colour. This was my first attempt at combining the border and the dog drawings...

I felt like the dogs arrangement was too uniform so I played with the size and scale of the dogs producing this design...

Remembering that the scarf was 50cm x 50cm I thought the dogs were a bit too large, so I came up with my final design which I think will be the entry I submit...
Do you agree that this should be my choosen design? Would you buy my scarf?!




1 comment:

  1. I love this scarf! Really enjoyed seeing how you started and worked through to your finished design. Very Jubilee and Regal...I think the Queen would be proud : D Only a flying Blog visit but wanted to answer your question and say - Yes I think this should be your design and would certainly catch my eye to buy it!

    ReplyDelete